Mikala’s vegan cinnamon rolls recipe
I posted a picture of my freshly baked vegan cinnamon rolls on Monty’s instagram story this weekend and a lot of people asked for the recipe. But because I came up with this recipe myself and I never actually follow any recipe while baking but just go with it, I had to make it again so I could write down the recipe to share with you. We now have a ton of cinnamon rolls at home and the entire house smells so good! I also took some pictures while baking so you can see some of the process and the finished results! 😁
The dough ingredients:
- 20 grams of fresh yeast
- 300 grams of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 500-550 grams of wheat flour (start with 450 grams and add more to the mix until it doesn’t stick to your hands)
- 120 grams of vegan butter
- 130 grams of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
Step by step:
- Start by adding the fresh yeast into the lukewarm water and stir with a spoon until the yeast is dissolved in the water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the dough and remember to start adding 450 grams of wheatflour gradually and mix until it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- When the dough no longer sticks, place it in a bowl and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, make the filling:
- Mix soft butter and sugar in a bowl with a spoon or a fork and when the butter is soft you mix in the cinnamon.
- Then you have to taste the filling! Is it sweet enough? Does it lack sugar or cinnamon? Add until you like the taste. Remember if too strong the filling will taste strongly of cinnamon.
- Place your filling in the fridge for while you roll out your dough
- Take half the dough and roll it out flat
- Spread your cold cinnamon filling on the flat dough to cover it totally leaving a bit around the edge
- Roll it slowly and tightly into a long sausage. Cut it in the sizes you want
- As you place your cinnamon rolls on your baking tray, remember to tuck in the end and twist it underneath, otherwise your roll will fall apart when it bakes.
- Do the same with the other half of your dough and bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes on 200 degrees Celsius.
- It varies from oven to oven how long time they should bake and it also depends on the size. So keep an eye on them ALL THE TIME! When they have risen and are light brown, they are probably done.
- Take them out of oven, let them cool a little and then put a glaze on top of each cinnamon roll. Serve warm.